In this episode Dr Matt & Dr Mike discuss drug addiction and drug abuse with Psychiatrist Dr Kieran Kennedy.
It is a great discussion that covers the following points;
– What is drug addiction and drug abuse – what are the differences?
– How do you identify drug addiction?
– Is a drug addiction (e.g. heroin) the same as a behavioural addiction (e.g. gambling)?
– Do we understand the neurochemical mechanism/s underpinning drug addiction?
– What drugs are commonly abused?
– Do we know what determines whether someone becomes addicted to drugs (genetics, environment, psychosocial, etc.)?
– What are the treatments of drug addiction?
– What % of Australians have an alcohol and/or substance abuse problem?
– From your experience, is substance abuse an independent phenomenon or is it masking an underlying mental illness?
– Using alcohol as an example, what degree of substance use would categorise it being an addiction
– With the recent integration of caffeine into alcoholic drinks. Have you noticed a change in the use of alcohol in the population?
– Are the medications used to treat substance abuse different – depending on the drug abused – or are the MoA of these medications aimed to mitigate addiction, broadly?
– What advice would you give the listeners, if they had a friend or family member who they suspected had a drug addiction?
– What is withdrawal?
A message from Love Heals The World:
– Hey Healers, please join us today in praying for the world. We’ve created the Let Us Pray category to highlight some of the challenges the world is facing and we believe that love has the power to heal those creating the challenges and those affected by them.
Please spread the love by supporting the link and platforms in the post and if you have a public prayer for this particular topic share it in the comments below. – #LHTW